Giving gifts that keep on giving...for refugee children in Iraq
About The Gift That Keeps on Giving...
I really love giving gifts. I don't love giving gifts when I feel hurried and not able to be thoughtful.
I received great advice as a young adult that there are appropriate times for lavish gift giving as a way to reflect God's lavish and generous love to us. Sometimes it's good for gifts to be practical and other times it's good for gifts to be an over-the-top expression of love.
We can probably all agree what doesn't feel great, is buying something just for the sake of having a gift to give.
So if you are enjoying getting those practical or lavish gifts you know people are going to love.....wonderful. Happy shopping and enjoy celebrating!
However, if you are struggling with what to get people I'd like to suggest an alternative!
World Orphans partners to operate a school for refugee children in Northern Iraq. Educating 215 students, we provide the only Arabic curriculum school in the region. Due to an unexpected loss in funding, we need to raise around $20,000 to finish the semester. Consistent education is truly vital to these children.
Would you consider this.....
- Make a list of everyone you want to get gifts for but may struggle to find something meaningful that adequately expresses your love for them.
- Approximate what you would spend on the gifts.
- Donate to this campaign to help the children in our refugee school finish the semester.
- Make or buy ornaments to give as a small token of your love for the person with a note about the donation you made in their honor.
- OR make or buy simple jewelry to give as a small token of your love for the person with a note about the donation you made in their honor.
- OR (you can tell, lots of options) simply print copies of the picture at the top and put it in a card with a note expressing your love for the person and explaining the donation you made in their honor in lieu of buying a gift.
If you like the idea, PLEASE feel free to pass this on to others or to start a campaign of your own!